Friday, July 30, 2010

After the Big Blue Envelope

Did I say that big blue envelope is also fat? It's filled with well-organized files for step-by-step process for accepting my assignment plus applying for a "no fee" passport and my Azerbaijan visa. Also files with instructions to prepare an assignment-related resume and PC aspiration statement that goes to Azerbaijan PC staff. And my online toolkit was updated with an incredible Azeri language learning manual to assuage my fears about learning.
So after submitting an updated resume et al, more emails from PC in DC to match me with a host family and learn my learning style; received email addresses for current PCVs in Azerbaijan as resources. I'm impressed.

Also got connected to MN Returned PCVs for a great send-off and opportunity to meet local applicants, nominees, and invitees! What an inspiring group of kindred spirits!

I took a few more steps by re-designing my blog (found a regional map and added an RSS feed), joining a FB group for AZ8 and following their blogs. Love to see their photos of hfamilies and friends and Azerbaijan. Could this have been possible 50 years ago? I'm starting to feel spoiled by technology here, but return to core values of service to others and integrity that landed me in this place and time.

Big thanks to others who run the unofficial PC timeline and journal links.

3 comments:

  1. Margaret,
    Just wanted to send you a note to wish you luck as you join the PC. I truly enjoyed working with you at GMI, as you always brought so much positivity. I think you will be a wonderful teacher. Also, as I said before, my cousin was in the Peace Corps in Moldova and has great friends all of the world from her great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did my best to add your timeline to the table here:
    http://peacecorpswiki.org/Application_Timelines

    Congratulations, and best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exciting!!

    How did you get connected with RPCVs? I've been trying to do that for a while but can't seem to find any answers through Google. :)

    ReplyDelete