Sunday, August 29, 2010

Hiking Group - Deeply Rooted and New Adventures

It is hard to say goodbye to my dear friends who've hiked many trails together. Once again I hold back tears as it sinks in that I won't see them for 2+ years. Inshallah - God willing - that I succeed as a Peace Corps Trainee and Volunteer in Azerbaijan.

So pleased to see most of the hikers last night, but alas I was so engaged I never picked up my camera! As ever, the best food, gracious hosts, great conversation, and superb weather. And the most thoughtful gifts. What can I say to adding 20+ books to my Kindle, a 2011 calendar of Twin Cities photos, the words to Edith Piaf's No Regrets, Thomas Reiss's bestseller The Orientalist, and a gorgeous farmer's market bouquet. All made the more special with this newly treasured t-shirt. The flowers and shirt inspired this photo which I staged as another memory of this great group of friends.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck and welcome to Peace Corps from across the border in Armenia! PST is fun. It's like going to school/summer camp, but in a foreign country with Peace Corps Volunteers. Just make sure to remember that you're a fully independent human being capable of taking care of herself, even if your host family and the peace corps doesn't really believe it. The kindle is definitely a good bring, but you'll be surprised how good the Peace Corps library is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also remember to take lots of pictures of everyday life and your family and friends. You'll want them and your host family will want to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two wishes for you; 1) That you have continued good luck, and 2) That you continue to write as well as you have in this and your previous blogs.

    Having received a nomination and having my medical packet completed, I am currently in the waiting phase of my application process. I retired at 66 I am and trying to follow blogs of others in a similar place and especially those who are in an age group approximately similar to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Peggy,
    Am enjoying your blog.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete