Thursday, February 17, 2011

Living the Low Tech Life

Patience please. Since Monday Feb. 7th, I have been enduring life without the benefit of telecommunications technology. And if you think that is just about internet access or satellite TV, you haven't been paying attention to all the things that depend on electronic transmission of data.

On that afternoon there was a gas explosion in a telecom building in Masalli which killed 2 people working in the post office next door (This photo was taken after demolition started and is not of the damage itself). Local residents and businesses have not had use of the internet or land line phones since then. But even worse, there are no functioning ATM machines in the city!  Who would have thought about ATMs being disrupted? 

For those of us using bank cards in Masalli, we cannot get funds since the ATMs do not work. 
Transmission of data was restored on Feb 15th - 8 days after the explosion. Unfortunately, I have not had time to walk to the internet cafe until today. I was beginning to think I'd have to implement Plan B which meant traveling to Lenkeran about 40 minutes away to use an ATM machine there.

I was able to send a text message to Anton since he has T-mobile and ask him to let a few others know why I haven't been in touch. Thanks guy.

I didn't relish the idea of writing individual letters that take 2+ weeks to get to the USA. But I'm definitely thinking about what I will do if this should happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment