Thursday, March 3, 2011

Getting Water in Masalli

Clean potable water is essential for life since we can only live about 10 days without it. Here is a bit of information about how Azerbaijanis in my town of Masalli get water for drinking and cooking as well as for laundry and bathing.

This photo shows a typical water tank which is filled from below by a large water pipe. These pipes run throughout the town and can be mistaken for speed bumps when they are partially buried across a street. Heaven only knows where that water comes from and to my knowledge it is not fluoridated. High holding tanks provide pressure for the water to flow to multiple homes. In Masalli, family compounds and apartment buildings have water tanks with much smaller capacity than the huge water towers seen in American villages and suburbs.  My host family's apartment has water faucets in our kitchen and bathroom plus a water heater, and this is the water we use for washing dishes, laundry and bathing.

Some resident also make use of a government water truck (Su is the Azeri word for water) but I'm not sure how people use this water. This truck comes around regularly, honks the horn and people (usually women) simply come out of their apartments bringing large containers. The driver uses a hose to fill whatever bucket or container they have.

My family does not use a water truck since we get most water from a holding tank. However, for drinking and cooking my host dad wrestles with 5-8 gallon plastic jugs of mountain spring water. I've seen him carry a jug up the 6 flights of stairs, but mostly he uses a pulley system for bringing the water jugs up to our 4th floor apartment balcony where it's stored until we need it. The water in these jugs is also boiled before cooking or drinking. The only cold water I drink is what I might buy in a store (Coke or Pepsi bottlers).

When I move to my own apartment in April I will need to figure out water better. PC does provide us each with a water filter and we are instructed to boil the water after it is filtered. I've been spoiled and have not had to use my filter at this family's home.

Ignore the graffiti on the brick walls. It's likely not political since it is against the law to speak ill of the president or government officials. Peace Corps assures us that our freedom of speech will be restored at COS (Close Of Service).

No comments:

Post a Comment