Sunday, January 15, 2012

Talking to myself!

I know I've been remiss in writing for this blog, so during chores this morning I started telling myself about some possible topics. For one thing, I've come to appreciate washing machines and warm water. I'm trying out a new laundry soap called Persil which I'd read about in the NYTimes. It was developed specifically for washing clothes in cold water. I'll see if I can find the link to the article since I've come to believe that heating water is one of the biggest energy users, and I want to minimize that.

Then there's the story of destroying my tea kettle by forgetting it on the stove for over 2 hours. It isn't about losing my memory since one of my site mates reported doing the same thing the day before. We both were working on our computers and simply forgot that we'd left water boiling on our stoves. Here's a photo of the new one that I bought the next morning.

I wondered if anyone would be interested in my walking at night on a muddy road. Or that the full moon on a clear night brings out the howling dogs at about 2AM. Or that I went "guesting" at my neighbors recently and they walked me home in the dark.

I finally met the young married PCV couple who are assigned to Lankeran about 40 minutes away. We had a test of the PC Consolidation Action Plan, so they came to Sally's house Friday morning. It was done to determine how long it would take for 5 of us to gather for further instructions from PC. Best of all,  Sally made pumpkin pancakes for us for lunch.

In a couple weeks I will be in Baku for the annual medical and dental exam by the PC. It is part of the mid-service conference for the AZ8s. During that time, PC will also hold a lottery to set the dates for each of us to return to US. We can't all possibly have COS (Close of Service) on the same day so the dates are between Nov. 1st and Dec 15th. It's crazy to think about because sometimes it feels like I'm just beginning.

And here's a photo of the PCVs who came to my place for Christmas Eve 2011. It was a wonderful gathering of the "Southies."



No comments:

Post a Comment