Sunday, June 13, 2010

It's Azerbaijan in September!

At last via classic US mail that long-awaited fat blue envelope arrived yesterday (June 12th) inviting me to Azerbaijan to teach English as a foreign language in secondary schools. Excited and a bit scared at the same time.
Story: Last week I sent a message via FB to a young woman named Gulustan who commented on a PC FB post praising PC volunteers who had come to her country and taught her English. I simply thanked her for the words of encouragement and she replied to me again praising the work of the Peace Corps. Yesterday - in one of those serendipity moments - I went back to see what country she was from and yes she is in Azerbaijan. I can hardly wait to email her again, but first wanted to post this and say to other applicants "hang in there." Patient endurance attains all things.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Peggy!

    I came across blog through Peace Corps wiki. I'm supposed to be going to Eastern Europe to teach English in September as well and the waiting is definitely getting to me. Congratulations on your acceptance! I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time! :)

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! I'm going to Azerbaijan as well but for Community Economic Development! See you in September and Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!

    Finally! Somebody else who has been invited to Azerbaijan.I was looking around wondering who else was going. I'm also going for English Education, so yay!

    If you're interested you can join the Facebook group I just created. Just search for "Peace Corps Azerbaijan 2010-2012 (Group 8)." Hopefully there wasn't one created yet...

    I've also started a blog too, http://eastwestcrossroads.wordpress.com/. Look forward to meeting you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Peggy!

    I'm just got my invitation yesterday for AZ8 as well! I will also be going for secondary English ed. Looking forward to meeting you in the fall! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comment! You are the first AZ 8 to contact me and I so very excited to read that there will be another Minnesotan here in "the 'baijan!" I actually am very familiar with Gen. Mills and seeing that you are from MPLS, we will have representatives from both members of the Twin Cities club! When do you leave? I miss many things from Minne-snow-da but mostly Grand Avenue and the North shore--not sure you can fit that on a plane but in any case, I am very excited to meet you and please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any help as you prepare to depart the USA!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Peggy! I'm still waiting for medical clearance...nominated for Pacific Islands in September. I wish you well and look forward to following your adventure!

    ReplyDelete