Saturday, November 27, 2010

How I keep it together!

Just a short blog this weekend since I'm spending more time studying for the Language Proficiency Test next Saturday December 4th - followed by some kind of birthday thing. I really need to kick it up to understand Azeri when natives speak it, and also learn more vocabulary. In Masilly I'll be staying with a host family where the mother is an English teacher. I'll have to make a rule so that I learn more Azeri because I'm sure she'll want to practice her English with me!

Had a totally delightful Thanksgiving Day here - way ahead of the USA, so hope you've enjoyed my picasa photos. Here's one of the trainees I spent it with.


Here are a few thoughts that popped into my head on Thanksgiving about how much more connected I still am to MN/WI and the USA due to technology. Sometimes listening to my iPod can make me homesick, but mostly it continues to amaze me that I can enjoy some of my favorite radio and music programs.

Here's what I do: Listen to the MN Orchestra. Via iTunes and $9.99 I have Beethoven's 2nd and 7th symphonies played by the world's best orchestra conducted by Osmo Vanska. What an incredible treat to pretend I'm in Orchestra Hall! Friends, we will be going to a concert or 2 together when I get back! Can someone send me a postcard of it to show my students?

I also subscribed to free public radio podcasts of Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me, This American Life, To the Best of Our Knowledge, The World and PBS' Newshour (I usually only get the Friday night broadcast with Brooks and Shields.) I can't begin to tell you about the first time I heard the theme music here. It'd been over a month since I'd heard it and it gave me goosebumps. Guess I'll have to become a member now!


That' me making pie crust for a pumpkin pie. Also made Apple Crisp for Thanksgiving with trainee friends. One other little thing I've done is create an old-fashioned sachet made of an orange stuck with cloves. This is a holiday aroma for me and consider making one for yourself this year. Cloves are very inexpensive here, but one orange cost over a dollar.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Marge. Loved reading about how you keep "home" with you via you IPOD/Pad or whatever. I guess I wouldn't do well because I only know how to operate a cell phone and computer. Our CST Xmas luncheon is at Annie's on Dec 8th. We will really miss not having you at the table with us this year. Phoebe is back to being a full time caregiver with one of her brothers again who is suppose to be having some kind of surgery soon. The burdens never end for her. Love, Patti Dye

    ReplyDelete