Wednesday, December 15, 2010

My Birthday in Sumgayit

My birthday celebration sorta (new English word) began Friday night December 3rd when I attended a huge toy (wedding). Very elaborate and important cultural event in a wedding palace with 4 other PC trainees invited. Got home late and fell asleep in bed with my study cards for Language Proficiency Test Saturday-birthday.


Studied until 2PM, then walked to school for 15 minute recorded discussion in Azeri with PC language coordinator. I did awful, but not so bad that I won't be sworn in. After I walked out of the test room, my 5 cluster mates presented me with 2 huge chocolate bars.

Then when I got home, my host family fed me dolmas with fresh yogurt followed by a gift of a beautiful red and black silk scarf (very teacher-y). Then we all enjoyed a beautiful birthday cake made by Ilhame, the daughter-in-law.


Later the host family had a pleasant visit from family cousin Eunice. While I'm getting ready for bed, I got a birthday text message from Anton who also mentioned 8 inches of snow in Minneapolis. I laughed. No snow here; hasn't even dropped below freezing.

So next Thursday I plan to be sworn in as a Peace Corps Volunteer, age 67!

3 comments:

  1. Same age and I am right behind you in this process (I am awaiting the formal invitation).
    Keep posting your experiences because I am able to maintain my positive mental attitude while waiting by reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see your town is near the Iranian border. Have you heard of any sketchy activities? Do Azeri people cross over for any reason ti Iraq or do Iraqi's come into your country for anything...or is it a closed border. Just curious about the political climate in your area.
    Thanks! I enjoy your blog.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I meant Iran not Iraq in my other post.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete