Thursday, December 30, 2010

Holiday Greetings from Masalli, AZ

I got wonderful help on Christmas Day while in Lenkeran from PCV Clarissa who set up my Google Video and Google Chat. I actually talked to my mother for the first time since Sept 24th and also saw Anton for the first time since I left. It was 8PM AZ time but only 10AM MN/WI time. I had a dose of homesickness when I came back to Masalli. Technology makes everything so quick and close - almost too much sometimes.


I'll write a bit about some things that are particularly different for me here. Since there is really not much for indoor heating systems (other than small stoves or electric heaters) I have resorted to the following attire for teaching: my pink thermal underwear underneath black leggings. I wear 2 pair of socks - a knit pair underneath black knee-highs since black seems to be the color favored by teachers. I always wear a skirt to school so I alternate between a grey suede one and my black AZ skirt (very geseng, i.e. very nice). I wear either a black turtleneck or black cotton top with a grey sweater underneath my pink fleece jacket or my red jacket - which you can see on just about every photo so far. I plan to go to the bazar in a few days to get another turtleneck sweater (with silver or rhinestone trim) and maybe another black skirt or warm dress. Then I put on my black raincoat and a black scarf and of course black thinsulate gloves! I am really down to a few basic clothes. Can you tell I'm already looking forward to warmer days in March. Oh please I hope this doesn't mean a hot hot Summer!

Shoes are never worn in the house - so they are left outside or near the entry where I put on my own pair of house slippers. Whenever I leave the apartment, I change from my slippers into either my black loafers or black wedge shoes. I timed my walk to school and it takes about 25 minutes - I think it is about 1.5 miles. To the best of my knowledge, there are no geese along the route tho' that may change when Spring comes.


In the morning, I often get a ride from my host dad since he drives host mom, brother and sister to nearby school. Their school starts classes at 8:30 and mine starts at 9AM, so that gives me time in the teachers' room to figure out where I'll be and what I'll be doing for the day. I feel so welcomed and wanted, and the other teachers want to practice their English with me. Of course, this is no way for me to learn Azerbaijani if they keep talking in English.

A big fat thank you to my friends who sent care packages that arrived Wed. Dec. 29th. I'll be able to have peanut butter with fresh tandoor bread every morning. I especially appreciate the many things (lotion, notebooks, granola bars, hangers, mascara remover! candy kisses) that I have taken for granted. You are all so kind and thoughtful!

I am looking forward to teaching English to eager Azerbaijani students in the coming year. Best Wishes for a Happy New Year to All!

No comments:

Post a Comment