Sunday, January 9, 2011

Starting to Teach English

There were only 3 days of school this week, but I met with most of the English teachers and went over my expectations for co-teaching with them. Since the school requested Peace Corps Volunteers, there are certain conditions they must meet. For one thing, each co-teacher must agree to meet with me once a week to prepare lesson plans for the coming classes. Those lesson plans will be written in a specific format with objectives and activities for a 45-minute class.

This morning (Saturday, Jan. 8th) it was rainy and cold - probably 3 or 4 degrees C. I dressed warmly and went to school, but the new building had no electricity or heat when I got there at 9 AM. The Director rang the bell at Noon and told everyone that the school would close due to the cold and many absences.

For one class, I was able to present "pair work" as a new teaching method. The English teachers usually have 2 students reciting in front of the class but this way all students are productive. I pair every student with another and they practice speaking with each other at their desks.  It takes a bit of instruction and practice, but it pays off with 12 students practicing English instead of just 2. 

I went over the directions, did a demo with the teacher, wrote the instructions on the board, then distributed to each pair an 8-line dialog between a doctor and a patient. I think it went well because every student was participating. The proof will be when these 15 year olds show up again for classes next week! I think the teachers will find it too noisy. 


On an added note, I walked home from school in the rain wearing my colorful "garden boots" from my Minneapolis Ace hardware store. They are pretty eye-catching and I did get quite a few looks. Alas, my host mom told me when I got home that they are boots that farmers wear when they shovel manure in the barn. IMHO, no Azerbaijani farmer would wear boots like this, so I won't be deterred from wearing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment