Wednesday, December 15, 2010

I'm a Peace Corps Volunteer

Swearing In Ceremony

Peace Corps has been moving so fast that I didn't have time to write or post to my blog for several days. Of course the most important day was the swearing-in ceremony December 9th conducted at the beautiful Sumgayit government building. Our host families and friends were invited to the afternoon program which was followed by a reception. My host mother and my 25 year old brother attended.


Television crews were there from several stations in Azerbaijan, and since I was seated at the end of one row, I did have 2 seconds of fame that night on one AZ news channel. My host family was thrilled that I got on TV.  But even more moving was the singing of the Azerbaijan and US anthems by one of our own - a trained opera singer accompanied on the piano by another who is a pianist. It was awesome and made us all so proud. My host family talked about that more than seeing me on TV.

My gray-haired friends and I headed to a local restaurant before going home to finish packing. Friday, my host family got up early to see me off at 9AM and there were many tears. I had TLC while living with people with limited resources. I gave them a photo album with half dozen photos that I took during my stay, plus a pair of magnifying eyeglasses for host mom so she can read the little AZ history book I also gave her.

They gave so much of themselves and I will always remember my short stay with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment