Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Beginning of Summer

It's Wednesday evening June 8th about 7pm as I write this, and storm clouds are threatening. The power has been out most of today because many utility poles are being replaced in the neighborhood. Between that, gas lines and road work, there is a lot of infrastructure work being undertaken this year throughout Azerbaijan.

This morning I had 9 eager students for their first English conversation club. Since this club is for beginners (10 and 11 year olds), I focused on speaking simple introductions and vocabulary. I started with English phrases comparable to Azerbaijani and let everyone introduce themselves with few words about their family. The classroom is large enough for both desk work plus a circle of chairs where they move to practice speaking with each other. 
This is a photo taken earlier this year of my darling 5th form class.

I also planned a conversation club for older students, but only 2 students attended today - and they don't even attend Digah school. They are related to 2 teachers in my school so they came to practice their English. Several other students will join up on Friday. This is challenging since they have good vocabulary, but need practice putting sentences together, using correct tenses, and talking about ideas as well as everyday events. It is totally enjoyable to sit with students who want to learn.

I hope to teach a writing class this Summer too, but I wasn't at school the last week to announce it. My English teachers are great resources for contacting students at home to come for activities when school is out.

In between time, I prepare activities and materials for these clubs to insure the students are engaged and challenged. Remember there is only one copy machine at a nearby stationers, and each copy costs 10 qepick (about 15 cents.) I just can't afford to provide handouts to every child, so creativity rules the day. I've made a bingo-like game with fruits and vegetables artwork, and have drawn pictures of verbs on index cards for another game. I get many ideas for activities from other PCVs who talk about their successes. Best of all, I am teaching these inter-active methods to my English teachers so they can use them for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment