Sunday, October 17, 2010

Learning to Teach

Along with learning to speak Azeri, we also have regular classes on how to teach English and new methods for English teachers here. I am very impressed with the materials and information that PC provides  us, but also amazed at current teaching methods. Best of all, teachers and students are eager to learn - especially if they have never heard a native-English speaker, particularly an American and not  someone from England.

All this information means that I am overloaded with books for teachers plus we follow the textbooks that are distributed to every class (also called form) by the Ministry of Education each year. We are encouraged to modify and change the lessons, and that is scary for me. Have I ever written a lesson plan? No!

My demo lesson plan will be on Planet Earth. (Thanks to Latitude store in St. Louis Park for the 2 inflatable globes I brought along.) I also have some Raffi songs about the big beautiful planet we call home and plan to teach that to 7th form students. All those wonderful songs I once sang with Anton. Lovin' it.

Today (Sunday night) I take the night train to Sheki, which is an ancient city in the Caucasas mountains and considered a tourist haven by Azerbaijanis. I'm looking forward to staying with current PCVs, but also Monday is National Independence Day here, so I'm hoping to get some great photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment