Sunday, October 24, 2010

This PC Trainee visits Sheki

I have to admit that volunteering has its serendipity moments. Who would have thought that I would have a once in a lifetime experience while serving in a developing country? Monday, I visited a UN-designated World Heritage Site, Xan Saray. Check that off in my 1000 Places to Visit book! 

I drew the coveted AZ location of Sheki for my site visit to stay with a current PC English teacher for a few days. Xan Saray is the last remaining palace of the Khans, and we also went into Caravan Saray, another restored site of historic importance in trade during the 1700's. I'll add a few photos to this blog and send a link to more via my picasa album site.

The site visit is an opportunity to live for a few days the life of an English teacher. Another trainee and I stayed with Irene, an AZ7 PCV who lives with a host family in  a charming house inside a walled compound - typical Azeri yard housing with separate buildings for the toilet, the shower, a large garden, and a chicken coop. This family also has a Winter house and a Summer house ! (Then step outside their gate and a farmer is tending his 3 cows along the cobbled street.)

Irene took us to her school where we answered questions in her English classes. Every PCV teacher has an Azerbaijani counterpart who learns new interactive teaching methods. At the end of each class, we sang a Raffi hit, "Five Little Ducks" and everyone loved the quack, quack, quack part. I laugh to think they'll be singing that song for years to come. FYI - My response to a question about Minnesota was that I live near the Mississippi River.

Best of all, I know I can do this. Pre-service Training is a stress-filled aberration compared to the daily activities and lessons taught in school.  Next week, we start practicum and I'll be standing in front of classes with the Azeri English teacher trying to show that I know what I'm doing. Inshallah - God Willing!




No comments:

Post a Comment